Wednesday, January 01, 2014

My 2014 BIM resolutions

This is the third year of my BIM resolutions and there is one big difference between this and previous. For 2013 they seemed focused on me and what I was going to get up to - on how I was going to behave.

This year we seem to have several corporate imperatives breathing down our necks - it's all about delivery and "evangelisation" in 2014!



As a reminder - 'Information Management' and 'Checking and Review' were my two 'Back to Basics' themes for last year. No.1 was to personally become red hot about the way I handled all my data as a key step towards achieving Level 1 BIM. No.2 was to revisit our existing requirements for checking and review.

Fulfilment of both these resolutions got significantly complicated by an 8-month posting 'behind the wire' at a secure site at the start of March. I'll write a separate blog piece about some interesting things I did in response despite being 'off plan' but this year's Resolutions feel as if they are completing and expanding the themes set last year.

The biggest BIM-team achievement of 2013 was the completion and then sign-off of the Atkins "Corporate Standard for Managing Information on our CAD and BIM projects." This provides the standard approach we should all be using for information management and is, in effect, our own definition of what Level 1 BIM looks like. Anne Kemp is leading the charge to implement this for the whole of Atkins on the UK in 2014. In Design and Engineering I've been given the challenge of rolling it out by April!

So, 2014 Resolution No. 1 is to implement the IM standard in D&E - an expanded version of 2013 Resolution No. 1. Expect to hear a lot more on this blog about this soon!

No. 2 is even more of a carry over from last year - get the 'Check and Review' section of the D&E Business Management System updated and integrated with the Atkins Design Principles. The E&MP board has asked me present a way to do this in January, and then I want to see if I can sell this to the other parts of our business.

I was involved with several webinars around this subject in 2013 and some good work around this has been done in several areas of Atkins. However, I think there's is still a big opportunity to better embed the Design Principles in our processes in a usable way that re-emphasises the importance of getting things 'right first time'.

If we can deliver on these two 2014 resolutions we will be firmly established in 'BIM Level 1 base camp' ready for the ascent of Level 2 by 2016.  And that doesn't mean just some - that means all of us!

I am already preparing the puns about 'peak performance'!

No comments: